Republished with permission from SpectraCell Laboratories
MTHFR is an enzyme responsible for converting 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate to the product 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. It is involved in the metabolism of folate and homocysteine.
The product of the reaction catalyzed by MTHFR converts homocysteine (a potentially toxic amino acid) to methionine (a useful and necessary amino acid).
MTHFR Genotyping is Important Because:
- Certain mutations in the gene coding for MTHFR produce an enzyme that has reduced activity.
- Reduced activity can lead to elevated levels of homocysteine (a.k.a. hyperhomocysteinemia), especially when folate levels are low.
- High homocysteine (>13umol/L) may double the risk of developing illness or complications.
- MTHFR genotyping can provide information about potential causes of elevated homocysteine and approaches for addressing it.
- Based on MTHFR and homocysteine results, physicians can develop dietary and medical recomendations – increased intake of folate alone or in combination with vitamins B6 and B12 are recommended.
- Based on results, recommendations for methotrexate dosage can be adjusted.
Risks Associated with MTHFR Variants/High Homocysteine:
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Cerebral Vascular Disease (Stroke)
- Venous and Arterial Thrombosis
- Methotrexate Toxicity for Cancer Therapy
Who Should be Tested?
- Those with high homocysteine levels.
- Those who have a familial history of cardiovascular disease, stroke or thrombosis.
- Those who are candidates for long-term methotrexate therapy.
The original blog from SpectraCell can be found here.
Click here to see how EASY it is to view SpectraCell test results within the Power2Practice platform!
Power2Practice – Designed for the Way YOU Practice Medicine
Specialty laboratory tests are integral components of individualized care, so Power2Practice’s business solutions platform and EMR was thoughtfully designed to integrate with both conventional and specialty laboratories, allowing you to spend less time on admin tasks and more time providing excellent care to your patients.
See Power2Practice in Action!
Watch this video and discover the truly unique EMR functionality and business support tools that Power2Practice created for Integrative and Functional Medicine practices, or SCHEDULE YOUR ONE-ON-ONE DEMO today!