by Jim Paoletti, BS Pharmacy, FAARM, FIACP
As practitioners are becoming more aware and knowledgeable of the benefits and applications, ozone medical therapy is growing in popularity.
Ozone therapy had been around for over 150 years, used originally to disinfect and to treat disease. Ozone has been used to disinfect drinking water since before the turn of the last century. Ozone’s effectiveness has been well documented in treating infections, wounds and multiple diseases. A 1929 book “Ozone and Its Therapeutic Actions” described the treatment of 114 diseases using ozone.
In 1933, the AMA began its systematic suppression of all modalities of treatment that did not complement its liaison with the emerging pharmacologic and diagnostic industries. Ozone therapy, along with many other useful therapies, were methodically eliminated from the educational process and exposure to the public in the U.S. Less suppression has occurred in Europe and other countries, especially in Russia. Today in Germany, and other countries, ozone therapy is commonplace. Over 7000 doctors in Germany use it daily. In fact, in Germany, ozone generators are in ambulances for treatment of stroke victims. The incidence of permanent paralysis in these patients is much less than that in similar patients where ozone is not used.
Ozone Therapy for Improved Treatment
Oxygen deficit is key to the development and progression of all disease processes. Dr. Otto Warburg’s work, confirmed by others, shows that this deficit and subsequent toxin buildup is the fundamental cause of all degenerative disease, especially cancers. Antioxidants help the body to protect itself from excessive oxidative damage caused by multiple free radicals, many of which are inactivated by ozone. The support of free radical scavenging systems is important but only oxygen can improve the deficit that makes cells vulnerable to oxidative damage in the first place.
Long-term ozone therapy can be augmented by supplementation with antioxidants, but normally they should not be administered within 4 to 12 hours of ozone therapies. Ozone produces the same effects as exercise, which produces significantly more free radical oxygen than can be administered in any ozone treatment. Ozone therapy has been called “exercise in a syringe” without doing joint damage. Ozone potentiates more complete oxidation, helps to maintain more normal body temperature and increases the effects of most hormones, vitamins, herbs, homeopathics, and drugs. Concurrent ozone therapy administration reduces the amount of chemotherapeutic drugs needed to achieve effect by ¼ to ¾. It complements chelation therapies and frequently improves the affect and sense of well-being in patients.
Ozone is created for medical use by using an ozone generator with an oxygen tank or oxygen concentrator. The ozone generator attaches an extra oxygen to the traditional oxygen molecule (O2) to create ozone (O3) in concentrations of 10 mg/ul to 60 mg/ul. The physiologic actions of ozone are many, the simplest of which is to provide sufficient oxygen to allow complete oxidation of sugars and other fuels to produce sufficient and efficient energy and to “burn clean” to CO2, water, and inert end products. If not enough oxygen is available, then incomplete oxidation occurs, producing carbon monoxide, lactic acid, and partially oxidized toxins that inhibit further oxygen metabolism and “clog the system”, tying up hemoglobin, water, and the mechanisms for function and elimination. Ozone potentiates free radical scavenging substances and systems in the body, inducing the production of superoxide dismutase, catalase, and glutathione peroxidase. When administered, a single molecule of oxygen breaks off of the ozone molecule and attaches to walls of viruses, bacteria, fungi, molds, parasites, pesticides, chemicals, toxins, yeast and weakened cells. Unhealthy cells and pathogens are destroyed or neutralized and eliminated from the body. Cells that are susceptible to ozone are those that have weak or simplistic enzyme coatings. Healthy cells cannot be penetrated by the oxygen molecule.
Ozone Medical Therapy Has Been Shown to Affect the Body Tissues in These Ways:
- Quick and significant reduction in inflammation and pain and improved motility with chronic and acute joint diseases
- Inactivate or neutralizes bacteria, fungus, and viruses
- Stimulates the immune system
- Enhances circulation
- Stimulates oxygen metabolism’
- Stimulates production of
- Improves overall brain function
- Helps prevent and reduce stroke damage
- Cleans arteries and veins while stimulating the production of white blood cells
- Purifies the blood and lymph systems
- Helps normalize hormone and enzyme production
- May increase dissolution of tumors and stimulates production of tumor necrosis factor
Administration Can be Through Various Routes with Modifications:
- Direct IV infusion – Ozone slowly administered into a major vessel.
- Major auto-hemotherapy – Anticoagulated blood is mixed with ozone and is infused into a vessel.
- Rectal/vaginal insufflation – Humidified ozone is administered by catheter.
- Minor auto-hemotherapy – Blood mixed with ozone is injected intramuscularly.
- Limb or body bagging – Body or parts are bathed in humidified ozone.
- Ozonated water – Dissolves easily in water to be used topically or consumed.
- Ozone in Saline or LRS – Can be used topically or given IV or SQ.
- Intra-articular administration – For joint healing and prolotherapy.
- Prolo/Sclerotherapy – Very good, less painful than other agents.
- Acupuncture – With ozone, more effective than B12.
- Ozonated olive oil – Ozone is bubbled through oil until the oil is thickened. This will produce ozonides that are not irritating and thus is applied topically even to eyes.
- Inhalation – Ozone that has been bubbled through olive oil and humidified will not irritate respiratory epithelium.
- Subconjunctival injection – For ulcers and keratitis sicca.
- Gingival and tooth apex injection – Can eliminate infection.
- Urinary bladder insufflation – For chronic inflammation.
- Disc protrusions – Prolotherapy, which can be injected at interspinous space and around facets, stabilize joints and accelerate healing.
- Auricular – Can be direct, humidified, or bagged with a homemade device made from IV bags and tubing (á la Margo Roman).
Dosage and frequency protocols vary widely. Initial high dose treatments may “jumpstart” the immune system followed by lower doses. Since the processes initiated by ozone take time, many practitioners prefer to use lower doses over a longer period of time. Concentration must be carefully controlled with accurate flow rates, requiring pediatric regulators for the needed slow flow rates to produce high concentrations. If ozone administration causes any respiratory irritation from out-gassing through the lungs, a bolus dose of 1 to 5 grams of vitamin C can be given and will eliminate any coughing instantly. Oxygen/ozone mixtures cannot cause emboli when injected at reasonable rates as they dissolve and diffuse very quickly in body fluids, unlike air (predominantly nitrogen) which is what forms emboli and causes the bends or decompression disease.
As an anticancer, antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-fungal agent, ozone is unsurpassed, especially since there are no appreciable side effects.
- An excellent publication o the topic is the book “Ozone: The Miracle Therapy” by David Brownstein, M.D., Medical Alternative Press, 888-647-5616.
- Information about Medical Ozone therapy can be found at The Medical Society for Ozone Application in Prevention and Therapy – http://www.ozone-association.com and Ozone without Borders (OWB): http://ozonewithoutborders.ngo/
- Training for health professionals to use medical ozone therapy in their practice is provided by The American Academy of Ozone. http://www,oxygenhealingtherapies.com/American _Academy_Ozonotherapy.htm and The Society of Professional Medical Education: http”//sopmed.org
- Biological and clinical effects of ozone. Has ozone therapy a future in medicine? – Velio Bocci – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10795372
- Ozone as a bioregulator – Velio Bocci – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9250885
- Starfield B. “Is US Health Really the Best in the World? “JAMA. 2000;284(4):483-485. doi:10.1001/jama.284.4.483
- Elvis AM and Ekta JS “Ozone therapy: A clinical review” J Nat Sci Biol Med. 2011 Jan-Jun;2(1):66-70 doi: 10.4103/0976-9668.82319 PMCID: PMC3312702
- The FDA Continues to Suppress Ozone Therapy Despite Proven Efficacy – Paul Fassa, Natural News – http://www.naturalnews.com/028201_ozone_therapy_FDA.html
Jim Paoletti, BS Pharmacy, FAARFM, FIACP, is a Clinical Consultant with over 30 years of experience creating and using bio-identical hormone therapies in both retail pharmacy and clinical practice.
Jim is a Diplomat in Functional Medicine in addition to being a former faculty member for the Fellowship of Functional Medicine. Jim is also author of the book “A Practitioner’s Guide to Physiologic Bioidentical Hormone Balance.”
At Power2Practice, he applies his wealth of knowledge and experience by hosting live webinars and creating useful content, such as blogs, podcasts and clinical support tools.